Friday, March 14, 2014

Holy Crap! I'm 30 This Year!


So right, this year was supposed to be the year that I would go for a long-ish Europe trip with my friends. However, my mom's bout of illness had me thinking that maybe the money would be better used as an emergency fund, you know, in case she'd need extra money or anything. So I decided to shelve the trip and just focus on putting aside money for my mom.

A week ago, my friends decided to give me a surprise. Unbeknownst (this is quickly becoming one of my favourite words, I swear) to me, my friends started a small campaign to raise funds for me so that they could sponsor my Europe trip this year. So it was supposed to be like a birthday present to me...

O... M... F... G...

At the point of my receiving the news, we were already at 13 people sponsoring everything, from airfare to accommodation, and even having SGD$1000 leftover as spending money for me. I was speechless, and I did not know what to say, or do. It didn't seem right to accept the money, but it also seemed incorrect to reject their goodwill. How does one say no to such a grand gesture? Well, the short answer to such a question is... you do not.
(PS: I think the number of people has increased to 16-17 people. All of you are crazy... crazy amazing man...)

Maybe I did something right, or maybe I impacted these people more than I could ever truly know. The bottom line is that, these people whom I call my friends are banding together to create something magical for me. And I guess I can only be touched and moved, and ever so grateful.

I am still thinking about how I can show my appreciation for these people, and I am planning to do something like a live blog/vlog thing. I want to be able to try and capture the entire trip through media, social and otherwise. Daily? Or post-trip release? Argh... can't decide!!!

Anyone has any ideas? =P

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Hi,

I'm a journalist with My Paper. I'm writing a report on mystery boxes catching on in Singapore, such as Loot Crate and Nerd Block. I came across your tweet about receiving a Nerd Block sometime last year. Would you be willing to speak with me regarding your purchase? If so, kindly email me at lydialam@sph.com.sg. You can also call me at my work number 63195040 from 1pm to 10 pm tomorrow (June 17).

Thank you,
Lydia Lam